Driving a Culture of Inclusion
What’s this course about?
Specific goals of the program include:
- Broadening each person’s awareness of how individual biases can impact our relationships with colleagues and our workplace culture
- Providing the skills and knowledge to understand and adapt to others
- Ensuring individuals are empowered to be effective in their roles
Key topics to be explored in the workshop:
- Defining Diversity & Inclusion/Business Case for Diversity – includes discussion of current workplace barriers
- The Concept of Covering – how all of us cover aspects of our identities
- Understanding Bias – conscious vs. unconscious bias, how the brain impacts our preferences and assumptions
- Dimensions of Diversity – explore the Diversity Wheel, going beyond traditional/physical dimensions
- Disengaging from Bias – taking responsibility for our actions, using inclusive language and behaviors
Who will be teaching the course?
Diversity and Inclusion Leader and Executive Coach
John has proven success in creating and sustaining effective D&I strategies, building and engaging employee resource groups, creating education and awareness programs in support of creating a more diverse and inclusive workplace, and coaching business leaders on how to be more impactful, inclusive leaders. John is also a skilled facilitator, moderator and emcee and has been a frequent keynote speaker and panelist as a subject matter expert on Diversity and Inclusion topics.
In early 2014, John was recognized by the NGLCC as “Corporate Leader of the Year” for his efforts to promote diversity and inclusion in the financial services sector. In 2015 Boston Spirit Magazine named John to their list of “Top 25 LGBT Power Players” in New England. Also, in 2017 the Elevate ERG Academy named John its “Corporate Executive of the Year.”
John is also a founding partner of Pride in Our Workplace. PIOW is a forum for executives and professionals to share diversity and inclusion best practices, promote stronger networks, develop professional skills, and promote and build employee/business resource group capabilities. John is a graduate of Boston College, Carroll School of Management.