Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston
Assistant Director of Marketing & Communications | Marketing
Posted by: Jayne Richards
Boston, MA |
About the Position: The Assistant Director of Marketing & Communications will support a fast-paced Development and Marketing team and support BGCB’s mission: to help young people, especially those who need us most, build strong character and realize their full potential as responsible citizens and leaders. We do this by providing: a safe haven filled with hope and opportunity, ongoing relationships with caring adults, and life-enhancing programs.
Working closely alongside the Senior Director of Marketing & Communications and the Marketing & Social Media Manager, and working in collaboration with the entire Development, Operations, and Finance teams, the Assistant Director of Marketing & Communications will help to support and build upon an agency-wide marketing and communications plan for our internal and external audiences, particularly across our digital and print platforms. The individual must be strategic, analytical, creative, flexible, organized, and have a sense of humor with excellent communications skills; this includes possessing extensive knowledge across an array of disciplines and platforms necessary to engage and expand the donor pool and increase brand awareness across multiple channels while positioning BGCB as a leading organization in the city and beyond. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- With the Marketing and Communications team, develop and implement strategic communications plans and content calendars for BGCB, addresses critical issues that inspire our current and potential donors, partners, and stakeholders, and highlight the impact BGCB has on our members, their families and the community
- Generate content, identify audiences, and ensure the timely and appropriate distribution of messaging across all available platforms
- Design a comprehensive suite of tools as needed that reflect BGCB’s messaging strategy and meet the specific needs of BGCB’s varied audiences. These tools include existing and emerging technology
- Manage www.bgcb.org including all content and visual updates, as well as tracking and analyzing activity
- Manage the use of external resources as they pertain to the marketing and communications function of the organization
- Work closely with Development team on event programs, incorporating key messaging in fundraising, cultivation, and stewardship events. Leverage BGCB’s premiere events to reinforce mission and key messaging strategy, expand awareness, and attract financial support
- Formulate and express a wide-ranging perspective on digital content to ensure it continually reflects BGCB’s activities to serve supporters, members, staff, alum, and the general public, and position the organization as one that is worthy of donor support; likewise, formulate and express a donor-based perspective on the integration of print and digital content to ensure broad and leveraged exposure with various audiences of donors and prospective donors
- Work with internal stakeholders to conceptualize, write, edit, and oversee production of BGCB’s annual report, backgrounders/brochures, and other donor collateral/publications as required, including the incorporation of member and donor stories into print and online communications. Manage the relationship with external design agency, photographer, and printer
- Project manage the annual Impact Highlights brochure in close coordination with the Operations Department
- Manages the design and production of invitations and programs for BGCB events including but not limited to the Annual Meeting, Annual Dinner, President’s Circle Dinner, House Party preview, House Party, and all Artemis Circle, Champion Society, and Friends Council events. Streamline other requests as needed and protect the overall BGCB brand
- Oversees the creation of all online donation forms by DonationPay
- Helps draft monthly enewsletter content, and manages the layout and distribution
- Oversees the design and distribution of other emails from BGCB in Mail Chimp
- Helps manage donor newsletter production and context
- Provides support for fundraising events including scouting and coaching Club Member speakers.
- Implements marketing standards and protocols, including brand guidelines and messaging
- Provides proofreading and editing support for all printed and electronic communications to ensure accuracy, consistency, and quality
- Support media relations efforts, including identifying Club and program stories, drafting and updating press releases, fact sheets and media advisories as assigned, updating and refining media lists, emailing media advisories, pitching stories, supervising Club media visits, and conducting follow-up to obtain clips
- Helps manage vendor relationships and invoicing
- Helps manage organization’s photo and digital archive
General BGCB Expectations:
- Healthy Behavior Modeling – Teaching youth/teens the importance of living an active, healthy lifestyle is a BGCB priority. As a result, all staff is expected to model healthy behavior while working with our members.
- Inclusive Environment – BGCB values creating child-friendly environments, where youth/teens of all abilities can be successful and participate. BGCB expects employees to embrace its focus on inclusion of all members, regardless of disability or developmental challenge.
- Continuous Learning – Building the capacity of staff is central to BGCB. The organization encourages and requires that all staff participates in annual professional development opportunities that continue to cultivate their skills in the youth development field.
- Safe Spaces – Every staff member shares the responsibility for ensuring BGCB is, and remains, an environment free of sexual, physical, or emotional abuse.
Position Requirements (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Work Demands)
BA/BS in Marketing, Communications or related subject
Five to seven years or equivalent of full-time professional experience as a generalist in Marketing and Digital Marketing/Social Media
Exceptional project management and organizational skills, with the ability to follow through on assignments and meet deadlines, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
Graphic design experience and proficiency with technology required, including MS Office, Outlook, Adobe Creative Suite and WordPress. Familiarity with databases such as Raiser’s Edge
Excellent writing and editing skills across all media platforms
Exceptional interpersonal communications skills with the ability to work with all BGCB constituencies including Board members, leadership, Club staff members, families and youth.
Proven ability to work within an organization emphasizing teamwork and excellence as well as independently · Exceptional attention to detail
Must have a passion for our mission and a good sense of humor
Willingness to work evenings and weekends as event and project deadlines dictate
Valid driver’s license required and ability to visit BGCB locations as needed (via public transportation or otherwise)